St John the Baptist’s Church, Ware Road, Widford, Ware SG12 8RL

(01920) 877276

Open: Mon – Sun
9:00am to 5:00pm

Chancel Ceiling

The wagon-headed and ribbed ceiling dates from 1868 when the walls were raised and the roof was replaced. It makes a significant contribution to the church’s excellent acoustics. The previous roof structure had been put in place at the end of the 13th century when the building was extended. In the 1868 reordering, the six supporting beams, three of oak and three of walnut, were left in place, though they now serve no structural purpose.

The paintings on the chancel ceiling were the work of Miss Hadsley Gosselin of Blakesware. The painted panels display emblems representing the Passion of Christ, the Sacraments and the Evangelists (amongst others). The work was completed and dedicated in 1883. A book detailing all the panels was published shortly after the completion of the work. It is available online.